You decide to develop a new habit and find yourself stuck with the old ones, even one month post making that decision. Procrastination is our natural habit, we keep on procrastinating anything which takes effort and is full of boredom.
I was also facing the same challenge of procrastination 1 year back when i wanted to develop a morning routine which should comprise of workout and reading. It took a lot of will power at the start of the new habit. I was feeling pathetic the whole day when i started waking up at 5.30 am. Each day was really challenging for me, I used to hate the the sound of morning alarm. But, how did i pull it off? When i look back, I believe knowingly and unknowingly I have made some good and bad choices and here are the insights i gained from them:
- The first week is the most difficult one or the first step is the the most difficult. Once you have taken your first step you gain confidence to take the next one.
- You need a lot of will power and willingness to suffer at the start of the process of change. Once you have made up your mind to suffer the suffering subsides over time.
- You need to be consistent with the process of change, any small gap in between the consistency is enough to pull you back to your old habit, so tread the path carefully.
- After first few days, the routine starts getting boring, so this is true test of your character. You need to understand the boredom is the part of the process.
- You don’t gain confidence on the day when you feel like waking up early, instead you gain confidence on the day you wake up early even if you don’t feel like doing it.
- Any positive habit give you a compounded return, so you will have to wait for that threshold period when you can break even to exceptional returns.
- Even after you have done it for so many days, you can’t take things for granted, our mind is so tuned to laziness and procrastination that it’s very easy to fall back to your temptations of sleeping late.
- Finally, you should always consider that it’s your day one, like Amazon calls it and you will never be complacent.
So, these are my few learning from the morning routine I developed in last 12 months.